Monday, January 24, 2011

Mexi-Corn Lasagna

The other day I was trying to figure out something for dinner, and being tired of the same old stuff I broke out the cookbooks. Sean ended up picking out the Mexi-corn lasagna from my Casseroles & One-Dish Meals. The picture didn't look too appetizing, but it sounded good. And with a few tweaks on my part, it was delicious! Alice even loved it!

Picture from the book.



What you need (I'll add what I did at the end):
1 lb ground beef (I used about 1.25 lbs)
1 can corn, drained (I used the 15.5 oz can)
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz. I used two)
1 cup picante sauce (I used more and medium heat)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 carton cottage cheese (16 oz- small curd)
2 eggs
1/4 cup Parmesan
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic salt
12 corn tortillas (I used about 20)
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)

I also threw in some frozen pepper/onion blend and diced tomatoes with green chilies.

Brown meat, and drain. Add corn, tomato sauce, picante sauce, chili powder, and cumin. I added the diced tomatoes and peppers/onions to the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.

All of the stuff before mixing and simmering.





In separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan, oregano, and garlic salt. Mix well. I added a tad more garlic salt and some cheddar cheese.





Spray a 13x9 pan and arrange 6 tortillas on bottom and up sides of pan. I used 9.



Add half of meat mixture on top of tortillas and spread evenly.



Now the recipe says to add the cheese mixture on top, but I decided to add a layer of tortillas first. So put 6 tortillas on top, if you want.
Then spread cheese mixture evenly over tortillas (or meat, if you choose that route).



Cover cheese mixture with six tortillas and remaining meat mixture.



Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. I baked it for 35, pulled it out and added cheddar cheese on top and baked for another 10 minutes. I wanted to make sure the cheese mixture was cooked through since I added extra layers of tortillas. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Right out of the oven.



What mine looked like after cutting into it.



Now if you don't like cottage cheese, I'm sure you could use a different filling (like salsa mixed with Velveeta and sour cream or something). You could add all other kinds if veggies, rice, etc if you want. Play around with it, this recipe is pretty "forgiving".

I will say that I may use hard taco shells next time, or actual tortilla chips, as the corn tortillas were really soft. Borderline mushy and soggy, but not too bad because I wouldn't have eaten it! I hate soggy/mushy things.

It tastes just as good, if not better, when reheated the next day! Let me know if you try it, and if you and your family like it!

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I make enchilada casserole, with meat and rice and beans and enchilada sauce and tortillas. Try flour tortillas, they don't get as soggy. Also, I cut my tortillas in half, so that I have a straight edge to line the edges of the pan with, but I am not sure that would make a difference. I may add some cottage cheese next time, that sounds good. (I already use cottage cheese in real lasagna, in place of half the ricotta.)

Danifred said...

Oh, that looks great! I'll add this to my "need to make" list!