Monday, January 31, 2011

Catastrauphic Storm

That is what the news channels are calling this winter storm we are getting. For the next two days anyway. It wasn't supposed to start until about 7pm, but when Alice and I headed to the store about 5, it had already started. Freezing rain...what fun!

It normally takes about ten minutes to get to the store. It took about thirty minutes. We were in the store for about twenty minutes, and when we got out the car was covered in ice again. The parking lot was a skating rink. I had to hold on to the cart so I wouldn't fall. We literally slid all the way to the car. Which Alice thought was so much fun!

I then called in pizza and salad from Arni's because I knew it would be too late to make something for Alice by the time we got home. I left Alice in the car while I ran in to get the food. That is something I do, but it was pelting down ice and I figured she'd be safer in the car for 5 minutes. It only took about four, and she was fine. I still feel bad about that, though. Freezing rain really stings when it hits you!

It took about forty-five minutes to get home. I took the interstate, thinking it would be quicker, but I think it would have been faster to go back through town. Alice was asleep by the time we got home, so I brought all of the groceries and dinner in really quick. See a pattern? I'm that parent that leaves their kid in the car, apparently.

Now I'm getting ready to go put more ice melt down and check on the rabbits. I hope my skating skills are up to par *wink*.

I really thought we'd get snow and not ice (already at an inch), but I guess the snow is coming afterwards. I haven't minded the snow this winter, but this ice crap can go the eff away! Now I'm hoping the power doesn't go out, but if it does at least we have plenty of stuff for sandwiches. Plus we have gas heat, so that should be fine.

1 comment:

Danifred said...

I hope you guys are staying safe and warm inside! Our ice is coming tonight, but we're not getting nearly as much as the rest of the country.