Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday Night Leftovers (The I Couldn't Make This Up If I Wanted To Version)

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I have been trying to post more regularly. Hopefully, I can keep this up!

And now for leftovers.

•I had mentioned that I made apple bread yesterday. It is the worst apple bread I have ever made. Seriously! I didn't have enough oil, so I added more flax seed than I usually do. And it is pretty dry. No worries...if we don't eat it all, the chickens will be happy to do so.

•Last night Alice and I did our usual bath/shower. We both get in and I shower, and wash her. Then I get out and fill the tub a little to let her play, while I get pajamas on and dry my hair.

•While I was drying my hair, Mortimer hopped on the edge of the tub, like usual. This time, Alice hugged/pulled him in the tub. He got soaking wet and looked like a drowned rat. Then he proceeded to get the bathroom floor and family room floor soaking wet! I would have been irritated if it wouldn't have been for the fact that it was hilarious!

•So I finish drying my hair, and grab my towel and start mopping up the floor in the bathroom. Meanwhile, Alice keeps gagging herself with her fingers (and a toy). I told her to stop, but no sooner had I said it, she threw up in the tub! Nice!

•So I drain the tub, put a little more water in and wash her again. I let her play for a few more minutes and then start draining the tub, telling her that she has to get out when the water is gone (this helps with no tantrums). I grab her towel, lift her out and go to wrap her up in the towel. She took off running, and wiped out just outside the bathroom (I hadn't mopped that water up yet).

•After picking her up and getting her wrapped up, we proceeded to the changing table to get diapered, lotioned up, and jammies. I always take my rings off when doing lotion, but this time she grabbed my rings and shoved them in her mouth. I did a sweep to get them out, but the engagement ring was already half down her throat and she was choking. So I grabbed her and turned her downwards and did the heimlich. She proceeded to vomit all over her bedroom floor, but the ring came out.

•So I probably sound like an inept parent, leaving small items in her reach that she can choke on. I am just glad I didn't panic, but instead just seemed to know what to do. I have never had to do anything like that before, nor am I sure I did it "correctly" but the goal was achieved none-the-less.

• I had to call poison control just a bit ago. Alice got ahold of some liquid potpourri, and was chewing on the bottle. You know, those pesky teeth. Anyway, I was worried about her consuming some (the lid was still on it though) so called poison control. They said everything was fine, since the lid was on and she consumed very little. I just had to wash her skin off and give her something to drink.

•So in less than 24 hours, I have had several parenting failures (well not complete). I am going to have to get a leash or dog crate for her since I obviously cannot keep up with her. I hate to think what she will manage when I'm nursing a newborn 24/7!

For more leftovers, visit Danifred and leave some comment love!


5 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Oh, heavens, what a day! I'm glad it all worked out in the end!

Danifred said...

I giggled just a little bit at the ring thing... sorry. As long as everything and everybody is okay in the end, I say a little giggle is okay, right?
But, yes, holy cow, what a day. Being a parent is HARD work!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

You're right - you can't make that stuff up. Sometimes life is a comedy and you have to roll with it. Sounds like you are a Champ!

Carrie27 said...

YIKES! It doesn't matter how much you hide or try to protect your kiddos, they will still find a way to scare us to death.

The Tompkins Family said...

Oh my gosh...what a day!! So much for a relaxing shower/bath!