Friday, August 20, 2010

One Year Ago...Happy Birthday Alice

I can't believe it has been a year! As promised, I will start off with how it all began. Well, not all the way of how it began because that would need to be censored *wink*.

Monday, 17 August 2009
Sean and I went in for my 40+ week appointment. My due date was 14 August. They did a NST (non-stress test) and everything was fine. It was neat seeing her heart rate and kick counts go up when Sean spoke. We then saw the OB, and there was NO progress. I was still about 1 cm dilated and 50-75% effaced. We then discussed induction and set it for Wednesday 19 August at 6 pm. I would be staying overnight while they did cervadil, and then start the pitocin at 6 am. With any luck, our little girl would be here by Friday.

We left the OB's office and went out for lunch (Mexican), and then went to Lowe's and walked around forever. I was starting to have some contractions and was BIG and tired, so I remember sitting down on a roll of carpeting... really annoyed that Sean was taking forever. I continued to have some contractions throughout the day.

Tuesday, 18 August 2009
The contractions continued, very irregular approximately 7-20 minutes apart. They were getting very strong and painful. About midday, they were extremely painful. I hoped on Contraction Master at this point, and tracked them. 4 minutes, 3, 5... I'm thinking this is it! Damn! 20 minutes. And so it continued all day. No longer than 20 or so minutes apart, and very painful. I would now writhe in pain. It felt like someone was stabbing me. I remember thinking "how am I going to make it, if I'm already a big wuss right now". I don't think I slept. I was up with every contraction. Seriously, who could sleep through that? I tried talking Sean into taking me to the hospital, but he refused, stating "We aren't supposed to be there until 6 pm tomorrow." ARGH!

Wednesday 19 August 2009
Finally! As soon as Sean woke up (and I know he was up a LOT over the night, as I was pitifully moaning and moving around) I tried to talk him into going to the hospital. No such luck. I got the same answer as last night. So I sat and stared at the clock, willing 6 pm to come quicker. Sean finally layed down for a nap around early afternoon, and I decided to go take a shower/bath and get ready to go. I felt great in the shower... for the first couple of minutes. And then the contractions returned closer and stronger. What should have taken about 15 minutes (I was trying to shave) took about 40. So I stumbled around throwing the rest of my stuff (all toiletries) in my hospital bag that had been ready for about 6 weeks. I grabbed the baby bag, and went to wake Sean up to go. Granted it was only like 2:30 or 3 but I couldn't take it anymore. My contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart and were agonizing. He told me to take a nap and we'd leave in a bit. So I hung out for a bit longer, writhing in pain (literally). And then I got smart. I threatened to do one of three things if we didn't leave immediately to go to the hospital, appointment be damned. I would a) get in the car and he could drive, b) drive myself, or c) kill him. I told him to make a choice. Like a wise man, he chose option A, and so he loaded everything in the car and off we went. I kid you not. Traffic was awful. My contractions were no more than 3 minutes apart (getting closer to 2) and were lasting well over a minute. And then the worse thing... we get stuck behind farm equipment! I lost my mind. I really thought that Sean was going to knock me out from all of the moaning (more like screaming) at this point. What should have been a 40 minute drive was well over an hour. We arrive at the hospital, and Sean starts to go park! I start screaming about pull up at the door and leave the car (they did tell us to do this during our tour of the hospital). We start walking to the elevator to L&D, people are literally scrambling out of my way (I guess I looked really pathetic?). Sean wants to know if I want a wheelchair. "No," I said. Then I change my mind, as a horrible contraction about brings me to my knees. Sean yells hold the elevator, which almost slammed on my hand mid-contraction. He proceeds to lecture me about holding the elevator, when I cuss at him. We arrive on the floor, and push the button. A nurse comes and I state, (with tears rolling down my face) "I'm your 6 o'clock induction, that doesn't need inducing. I'm also early." So they get me to a room, have me change, and start hooking me up. I was only 3 cm dilated and almost 100% effaced, but when they put the contraction monitor on me the nurses were shocked. I was having contractions (length and strength) that you wouldn't normally see until the transitional phase. So I wasn't a wuss after all! I had to wait about an hour for an epidural. And ahh, pure heaven!

My dad, aunt, and SIL came by to visit me (this was pre-epidural so I wasn't good company). They were at the hospital because my twin brother had surgery that morning to remove his parathyroid. What are the odds that we would both be in the same hospital at the same time? Granted, we were both scheduled to be there, but still.

Sean went home for awhile to rest and check on our dog. He returned about 11pm. He turned on the food network on tv. CRUEL! I was starving, as I really hadn't eaten since Monday. I did have a few bites of a snack here and there, but who really wants to eat when it feels like their insides are being torn apart? I finally convinced him (with some help from my nurse) to switch it to something else.

Thursday 20 August 2009
I remember my nurse kept nagging me about getting some sleep before the delivery. How do they expect you to sleep when they keep coming in to check you every hour, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to do that? Seriously, every single time I fell asleep the door would open and in would walk the nurse.

Around 3 am I was 9 cm and had stalled. So she brings in another nurse (or two) and they proceed to turn me in all kinds of directions. At one point, they even had half of my body on my little table. Dignity? I think I forgot to pack it. The nurse finally called my OB around 4 (?) and she said she'd be there shortly. She got there about 5:45 am, and checked me out. I was still at a little over 9, but she flipped the lip of my cervix, and stated, "We're ready to push!" Huh? So she wakes Sean up, and tells him to get ready. She proceeds to explain how to push. Yeah, I know how to poop, so I'm good lady! Then she tells me it usually takes about 3 hours for first time mothers. Great! It is 6 am and I'm starving and you're telling me I won't be eating until at least noon?! So we start. My epidural was starting to wear off, so I could feel the contractions coming on way before the monitor (which they didn't believe me until I proved it to them a few times). Well, I got Alice out in hardly no time. At 6:45 am, she was born! It was so surreal. I kept watching them weigh her and clean her up while the doctor was stitching me up-I had a third degree tear. They brought her to me and I just couldn't stop staring at her! She was the prettiest thing I had ever laid my eyes on. A healthy 7lb12oz, 20 1/2 in baby girl! I should note, that she didn't have a name yet.

I just couldn't keep my eyes off of her!

We had to wait an hour or two before they transferred me to our room. And the first thing I did was order food. I remember ordering two meals. And then the floodgates of visitors started coming. They seemed to work it out that no more than one set of visitors was visiting at a time, but I did not get any sleep. I think I finally got a shower late that evening (like 11pm).

Friday 21 August 2009
Around midday to early evening, we finally settled on a name for our baby girl. After much deliberating, we settled on Alice Oleandra. I came up with Alice. The nurse had brought her back from the nursery (early that morning) and she had a little hat with a bow on, and when I saw her the name "Alice" just popped in to my head. I had to work on Sean for a few hours. Sean came up with Oleandra, after his great-aunt Oly and his mother Sandra.

I knew her name as soon as I saw her!


So that is where it all began. I really can't believe it has been a year. I know that time goes by faster and faster the older you get, but wow!

Happy Birthday, to my little monkey, Alice!!! Mama loves you so much, and this past year has been everything, and more, that I have dreamed of. You have provided so much amusement for your Dada and I. I love watching you grow and learn. Though, I wish time would slow down a bit. You will be starting kindergarten before I know it, and the thought makes me cry a bit. I can only imagine what a wreck I will be that day.

For your birthday, we (you, me, and Aunt Lindsay) went to the Children's Museum. You had a blast! In fact, we all did. I always have fun watching you. We then went out to dinner at Abuelo's, where you entertained everyone around us. You LOVED getting your ice cream and candle for dessert. Your actual party won't be until after Labor Day, as we want to announce your little brother/sister. Tomorrow, we are having a cookout at home to celebrate, since your Aunt Lindsay won't be here for the party. I know you had a great day to day, and while I know you probably won't remember it, I did take a lot of pictures (and write this) to show you how we celebrated!


*Note: pictures from the Children's Museum will be in the next post!

No comments: