Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day: The What I Would Like Versus What I'll Probably Get

I'm going to make this brief because I have both kids napping, and that is rare. So I think I'll take a shower.

What I would like for Mother's Day:

A good nights rest and to sleep in.
To wake up to an immaculately clean house.
A yummy breakfast, complete with coffee, fruit, pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage.
To go by myself to the annual Derby Day festivities with my friends-and to have a beer!
A new Chariot with the bike and jogging packages.
Lots of flowers to plant!
A massage, pedicure, and facial.
To end the day with a hot bubble bath, with a bottle of wine, my Sarah McLachlan cd playing, and candles lit.

What I'll probably get:
A cup of coffee and a "Happy Mother's Day." (note I didn't put an exclamation point-this will be said with no enthusiasm)

What may occur:
I may get taken out to lunch after church.

What will most likely happen:
A typical day. Complete with changing lots of diapers, plenty of nursing sessions, dishes, laundry, cleaning, making dinner, and taking care of and entertaining our children. All after church, that I have to wake up three hours before hand, so I can shower and prepare the kids to drive an hour and a half there, and then juggle holding/feeding HJ while attempting to keep Alice quiet and sitting in her seat, rotating with chasing her down and bribing her with candy to come back and sit down.

I find it ironic that most mothers wish for time away and to themselves from the thing that gives them this day...their children. And I'm not implying that is anyway wrong, selfish, or whatnot. You deserve some time to yourself. So I hope that you get whatever it is that your heart desires on this special day. What would you like?

7 comments:

Karyn said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!

Megan said...

Happy Mother's Day- I hope you at least get a nap and a shower by yourself. Maybe a nice meal too. I'm trying not to have any expectations of my Mother's Day lest I not be disappointed...yeah right...

Anonymous said...

I think my day will be like yours. LOL Daryl just put the dock up this morning so he told me for MOther's Day I can sit outside on the dock and drink my coffee in peace while he's inside with the children. LOL But that's probably all I'll get and it will be a day like no other, here too!
Happy Mom's Day!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I don't think we are doing anything in particular for Mother's Day. It's never been a big thing here, maybe when Elizabeth gets old enough to understand it.

Carrie27 said...

Well, I think you deserve to sleep in and to not cook a single thing.

I am "sleeping in" (as in I'm sitting in my bed right now and pretending to sleep. Hahahaha! I know he didn't buy anything, because I told him not to. I just want to not do a single thing, but I know that is nearly impossible with three small children.

Lisa said...

I got to sleep a little and got breakfast made for me and some wonderful cards.

Happy mother's day mama. :)

Pretty Lil Parties said...

Happy Mothers day! Even though it is a bit late! I just wanted to do nothing and that is what I got :)