Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Recipes (The Dessert Edition)

So I mentioned the chocolate cupcakes with Nutella filling and Nutella buttercream frosting the other day. I really want to throw my phone down and go eat a jar of Nutella, but I'll try to behave! This is a must for you Nutella nuts out there...and it is super easy!

Nutella Cupcakes
•package of cake mix (chocolate or yellow-or any kind you want. If you like Nutella and pineapple, go for it! Or make your favorite homemade cupcakes)
•whatever ingredients the cake mix calls for (probably 2-3 eggs, some oil, and water)
•Nutella (I used about 1 1/2 jars) divided
•2 sticks of butter/margarine
•2 cups powdered (confectioners) sugar
•2 tsp vanilla (I just poured some in, so it may have been more like 2 tablespoons!)
{I used a regular buttercream frosting recipe I had and just altered it a bit and added Nutella. I have no idea where the recipe came from, as so many buttercream frostings are similar}

Prepare cake mix according to box. Make sure to preheat oven beforehand! Divide batter among cupcake tins. Drop a bit of Nutella in the center (use as much or as little as you want). Bake and let cool.

Frosting directions:
Beat butter (best at room temperature) with 1 c (or more) Nutella. Mix in vanilla, and then powdered sugar. I'd put the powdered sugar in gradually. Taste and add more Nutella if you think you need it (I think I used 1-1 1/4 cups.) I never measure when cooking or baking (exception-cookies). Frost cupcakes when cooled off and enjoy! If you think that is too much Nutella, then don't fill the cupcakes; just frost them. The frosting is the best stuff ever! I could eat it by itself (I did!).

Another must make dessert (super easy!!!) is chocolate peanut butter pie. If you think peanut butter and chocolate are the best combo ever, please go make this. And don't feel bad if you don't want to share!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie*
•Graham cracker crust (already made or make your own with crushed Graham crackers and melted butter)
•1/4-1/3 c semi sweet chocolate chips
•3/4-1 c peanut butter (I used generic peanut butter with honey**)
•1 can sweetened condensed milk
•8 oz whipped topping, thawed and divided

Melt chocolate in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Mix in peanut butter. As I don't measure, I'm guessing here (I took about 3 heaping spoonfuls and then added a small dollop). Taste mixture. It should taste peanut buttery! Add more if it is not to your satisfaction. Mix in the sweetened condensed milk. Then mix in the whipped topping (about 3/4 of the container). The mixture should have a really thick consistency, but pourable. Pour filling into crust. Top with leftover whipped topping. Freeze for at least two hours, or overnight if you can handle the wait!

I can't keep the pie in the house. Sean eats it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner! I have made three since Sunday! Everytime I go to have a slice, it is gone.

Let me know what you think, if you try them! I'm pretty sure you'll think it is fantastic.

*adapted from an Eagle Brand recipe that Sean found.
**I use generic peanut butter with honey when baking or mixing it. I will not use generic for sandwiches or anything by itself--it tastes different, but when mixed with other things, I can't tell a difference!

5 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Yum! Nutella cupcakes are the best idea!

Carrie27 said...

They both sound horribly bad for my already plumpness. Why did you have to post these?

The Tompkins Family said...

Mmmmm...

Lisa said...

Totally going to make Nutella cupcakes. PJ loves it!

Lindsay said...

Guess what you're making for Thanksgiving! If, you know, you're willing and have the time, &c. I'll ask nicely.